THE POST OFFICE, THOROLD
When Shannon Passero bought the Post Office in Thorold the building had been empty for nearly a decade. She has worked closely with Heritage Thorold (LACAC), and returned much to its original state. Everything that has been replaced is in keeping with the original design, including replacing broken window panes using historic glass and designing a custom art deco railing on the outside. Antique tables, armoires and trunks are used to showcase the clothing, and the impressive sales counter is from the Dominion Hardware store.
The Post Office received a National Trust of Canada Award in 2016 and was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 2003.
Post offices in Canada have always been important buildings in the community. They were often large and impressive buildings in central locations that became meeting places for the residents of the municipality.
A CORNERSTONE PROPERTY
The cornerstone for the Thorold Post Office, known at the time as the Dominion Building, was laid May, 1936. The building was originally six bays but was increased to 10 in 1957. You can still see the original sign above the original section of the building. The building has been constructed using white, ground Queenston stone in front and red brick for the sides and rear and was finished in a manner to befit a small city Canada in the 1930’s.
At the time of opening in 1936, the ground floor of Thorold’s Post Office was given entirely to Post office requirements. Customs and other Federal business was transacted on the upper floor. The janitor lived on-site with his family.
The Old Firehall, a landmark in downtown Thorold, was designed by the architect John Latshaw and built for $2,483. It has a combination bell tower and hose tower, yellow and red brickwork, semi-circular wood windows, and a circular wood window in the gable end at the tower. Decorative yellow brick frame each window. The bell which hung in its tower remained in use until 1964, when the fire department moved into its new hall nearby on Towpath Street. In 1967 the old bell was installed in the new firehall. The building held the dual responsibility of fire hall and home to the town’s police force and to this day contains a jail in the basement.
THE FIRST SHANNON PASSERO STORE
Shannon’s first retail store was located on the first floor of the building and is full of antique furnishings, as well as re purposed vintage treasures.
The old Thorold post office counter top was customized and installed in the store, while the cash counter came from an old General Store. The original outside lights were re-installed, and the original doors were re-purposed as interior sliding doors for modern use.
The studio on the second floor is the new home to the design and development team for the Shannon Passero Lifestyle Wholesale Collection.